Growing up, it was our tradition to have this gooey butter cake for breakfast on Christmas morning. I still love this cake, but more recently I've thought I can't believe we used to eat this for breakfast. I thought maybe it was just one of those fun luxuries my mom let us do, like eating birthday cake for breakfast the day after our birthday. Until I saw this. Apparantely it's perfectly acceptable to serve this as coffee cake for breakfast in St. Louis. So, eat up...anytime! And you know any cake that starts with a box mix has got to be good!
Gooey Butter Cake (recipe from my Grandma via my Mom...thanks!)
1 box yellow cake mix
½ cup butter
1 egg, slightly beaten
Mix above with fork until crumbly; pour in well greased 9x14 inch pan.
Sprinkle on chopped pecans.
Mix together and beat the following for 2 to 5 minutes:
1 - 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese
1 box powdered sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
Pour on top of batter and bake 40 to 50 minutes at 350 degrees. Sprinkle top with powdered sugar.

No comments:
Post a Comment